Friday, March 18, 2011

Bed-azzled ...

When Chuck and I moved into our house we learned a few things about 1920s construction decisions versus the modern full-sized box spring. We couldn't jam it around the corner and up the steps. It was like trying to throw a hallway down a hotdog.

We started sleeping on just a mattress on the floor which, at first, felt like camping or, better yet, the aftermath of a poet orgy circa 1968. I wondered aloud how long we would sleep like that -- at eye level with the outlets. Then it didn't feel like anything. It was just a bed. The place where I sleep. I didn't even notice anymore.

Finally, finally, right before we went to Los Angeles we went shopping for a split box spring and the bonus luxury of an actual frame with a headboard. A headboard! This thing to lean pillows against and read! Something to keep the pillows on the bed!

We planned the delivery in a strategic way: It came at 9 a.m. our first morning back from vacation. A single reason to travel in the opposite direction of where the palm trees and Steve Martin live.

After two pretty sweet sleeps, I'm giving life with a bed a super hard thumbs up. It's like sleeping in a hotel. Or on a boat. Or just being people in the latter half of their 30s who have chosen to give furniture a chance.

"I hope this doesn't make us lose our edge," Chuck said.


Please note that this was an exercise in unvanity. I actually took the books off the night stand instead of carefully selecting a seemingly random stack. Or even just leaving the actually random stack. And by saying that, I re-vanitize it.

By the way: Does anyone know if you're supposed to tip furniture mover inner guys?

Signed,
Cheapos in West Duluth

10 comments:

Tori said...

I love that headboard! Where did you get it?

Christa said...

Thanks! I dig it, too. We got it at a place called Schneiderman's.

Sproactually said...

It is proper to tip the mover guys if they were worthy of a tip.

Tow Truck guys too.

Kate Bee said...

Oh lord, I hope you're not supposed to tip. We had a truck full delivered when we bought our house - 5 rooms' worth - and I don't think we tipped at all. We did give them beer though (we were the last drop of the day).

Radzak said...

We had the same predicament when we moved in....we just came off 6 months of floor mattress living ourselves.

Radzak said...

We had the same old house/too big a bed predicament and recently came off 6 months of floor living ourselves. We feel really grown up.

Christa said...

Kate -- The beer was probably better than a tip.

Radzak -- I guess that makes us seven months more punk rock than you guys.

Futbol said...

when your ex-roommate helped me move in my mattress, i bought him a supersized meal at wendy's.

ps said...

ooh. i hear $10 - $20 per moving person depending on the amount of furniture. although, the h is constantly yelling at me for overtipping and spending our unborn child's college money on tips. :)

jcrew said...

I didn't tip when I got my bed. I don't think it's mandatory for deliveries like that. It's not like they're bringing you pizza.