Sunday, December 27, 2009

Rough draft ...

Christmas was a do-over on Sunday in my brother and sister-in-law's living room in Eden Prairie. My mom brought the leftovers of what we would have had for dinner on Friday, had the world not looked like it barfed up Slurpee.

Chuck and I made a pretty sick haul. Lucky bastards.

The next time I see my family, they will be in Duluth. That means my share of the commitment is simply to wear two socks that are roughly the same color. Out of respect.

In other news, this is how I spent the past week:

FOODS


Perfect Potato Latkes: Well, these certainly were delicious. And they only cost me one Cuisinart. RIP food processor, Dec. 2008-Dec. 2009. I'll miss that thing you did with hummus.




Cauliflower Soup: I was trying to recreate a really great soup that Chuck ordered at Lake Avenue Cafe, but my version turned out bland. It was a good kind of bland, hearty with good texture, but it took a level of salt (assault?) that I felt self conscious about adding to my bowl. But it was a start in the right direction. I may have to go back to Lake Ave., and do another taste test. I think they had a carrot in there somewhere.

Anyway, 4 cups of cauliflower, 2 leeks, milk, cheese, some flower for thickening and a squirt or two of lemon. I can't find the recipe anywhere.

MOVIES
Julie & Julia: Man. Julia Child was one plucky broad.

The Hangover : They did a great disservice to this movie by making the trailers a kind of funny that the full-length movie just never matched.

(500) Days of Summer: I like the world a lot better when Zooey Deschanel isn't singing. Especially when she isn't singing THE SMITHS. This movie was the most fine movie I've ever seen. It was a lot like every other rom com in the world, with a twist. Post-spoiler spoiler alert.

BOOKS
Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat, and Obsession by Julie Powell: When we last saw that saucy Julie Powell, she was a sweaty rosacea mess of marrow-crusted fingernails and damn-near oozing butter from her pores at the finish line of a year-long Julia Child marathon fraught with self flagellation, hard liquor, and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” quotations.

Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat, and Obsession, is what happened after the book deal: More restlessness, in the key of the restlessness that prompted her first project-turned-blog-turned-book-into-movie Julie & Julia. Our spirited heroine is back — and she’s gotten naughty.

Full review here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read "Cleaving," and upon seeing that Elizabeth Gilbert had been tapped for a book-jacket endorsement, I retitled it "Eat, Butcher, Fuck."

Wahkonamama said...

I expected so much more from "The Hangover". Even mass quantities of wine didn't make it funny.

Kristabella said...

I had the exact opposite experience with The Hangover. I just watched it on Saturday and I thought it was hilarious, probably because I didn't see a lot of the previews and/or didn't remember them.

My brother did mention it gets better the more you watch it. So maybe try it again if you want?