Monday, September 14, 2009

Green concentrate ...

I always sit here on Sunday nights, fresh from an episode of Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami, and I cannot remember a lick of what happened in the past week. It's like someone stole my cell phone and took a bunch of photos of meatless entrees, which were suspiciously placed on our plates, with instructions to put said photos on the internet.

I do know that today I was at the laundromat and almost barfed when a college kid wearing sandals walked past. There wasn't anything even necessarily wrong with his feet. I mean, his toenails were kind of gross, but beyond that I just got a strong shiver of ick. This misanthropy is getting more and more powerful.

In other news:

FOODS


One Skillet Bean and Broccoli Rabe: I couldn't find broccoli rabe, so I used turnip greens in this beany-eggy mix. It was okay. Turnip greens are so strong. It's like green-concentrate. Chuck noted that it tasted best if your fork included every one of the ingredients. He was right.



Spicy Thai Tofu with Red Bell Peppers and Peanuts: About midway through making this, I thought "This is going to be gross." It totally wasn't. Note to self, more peanuts in food. Chuck called the tofu, which sops up a bunch of soy sauce and lime juice, "Flavor slabs." In other pleasant news, I've broken my wok ban. Wok on!



Fennel-Scented Spinach and Potato Samosas
with Spicy Mint Chutney: These were good little pockets of food, poorly triangularized by me. potato, spinach, Indian spices, onions, etc., wrapped in phyllo. I served them with a spicy mint chutney. All good. Different. An F for aesthetics.


Bean Burgers with Spicy Guacamole: Awesome. Pinto beans and quinoa, onions, garlic, cilantro and stuff smooshed together into burger patties, coated with some corn meal and cooked up. Yum. Kind of mushy innards, but I thought they were fan-freaking-tastic. Like. The guac was a nice flavory touch.

I also made this crustless tomato-ricotta pie this week. Again. But it's super good and it bears repeating.

MOVIES
Adventureland: This is like the awful amateur drivel that two kids in your senior class make over the summer for extra credit. I think that it was supposed to be funny, but I only remember laughing once when a character whose name I can't remember, but she looked like a nontraditional college student, if we're supposed to believe she was a college student. And to add to the mess, Ryan Reynolds plays it straight. He has one of those faces that only looks good when he's being funny. I give this an F minus.

State of Play: They should have just called this The Pelican Brief.

BOOKS
Insomnia by Stephen King: My first Stephen King since that time in elementary school when I wrapped a copy of Pet Semetary in a grocery bag as makeshift cover so no one would tell me I was too young to be reading such a book.

So ... Insomnia is good. Full review will be here.

3 comments:

Futbol said...

nono, adventureland is not supposed to be a comedy. it's just a thing. i like movies that are things. sure, it's a bit meh, but they drop in a gogol reference and some napoleon dynamitey awkwardness. that's enough for me.

christina said...

Gah. Lets never watch movies together.

Futbol said...

what if i bring over this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181151/