Wednesday, June 18, 2008

hypothetically ...


... if you were running a half-marathon on saturday, the last possible moment you could possibly go out on the town and have a few drinks would be tuesday night.

that gives you a wednesday to roll around on the couch, ordering things slathered in pepperoni, onions and garlic from papa john's via the internet, without communicating with a human being, all while watching movies about women who make ill-advised relationship choices and pretending you don't have an apartment filled with goodwill fare waiting to be excavated before you can feel sound in telling the people at the new yorker's subscription department that you have a new address.

thursday to sleep well and have great, healthy dreams starring unicorns and your second grade teacher oddly wearing a cape.

friday to get self-righteous about people who consume booze -- the nerve! -- perhaps even your BOYFRIEND! [all while picking up your race packet, eating clif bar samples and wondering about the genetics of toned arms.]

p.s. thank you for the coupon to a podiatrist. i will use your advertising magnet to stabalize the pictures from the phone book that i color.

and then saturday to run.

so. i did the right thing.

8 comments:

Miss Kate said...

Internet pizza ordering is the best thing ever for anti-social people. I regularly participate.

I never noticed how green your eyes are! Pretty.

I'll be thinking of you Saturday AM.

Maurey said...

Best of luck, Christa. Can't wait to read about it.

I still am wavering. It will probably be a very last-minute (4:30 a.m. Saturday) decision. I'm taking another test run tonight, but I'm told if I don't take a complete running hiatus for about three weeks, it will never completely heal. I may just do it, knowing the bus is there if I need it.

L Sass said...

Grandma's?!?!

If so, my experience has been that there is always TONS of drinking after Grandma's.

Whiskeymarie said...

I wish I could come up to Duluth this weekend to spand on the sidelines and heckle/cheer you on.
But no way I'm fighting that traffic.
Good luck- I suggest many cocktails and something pizza-like after the fact.

Whiskeymarie said...

Um, stand.
Stand.
Thank you.

Kristabella said...

If I were running a half marathon on Saturday, I would die. So I'd be sure to drink the MOST amount of alcohol I could before then.

Laurie said...

If I lived in Duluth I would so camp out on the race route and cheer you on. I would have a lawn chair, a cooler of beer and a sign with your name on it.

feistyMNgirl said...

i'll be cheering at 51st Avenue East- with alcoholic beverages!

good luck- i'm so nervous/excited for the big races...even though i'm only a lame 5k-er this year.