Friday, June 13, 2008

ever-loving hippie mind ...

when i saw an empty styrofoam restaurant take-out container sitting on a pile of clean dishes, i thought chuck had lost his ever-loving hippie mind.

when we met, he was man-sandal wearing and organic deoderant buying. then came the reusable grocery bags, the herb garden in the pantry, the breakfast conversations that began with: "well, when we own chickens ..."

i've, of course, glommed on like a tiny, unshowered grasshopper who no longer buys bottled water and is making a slow transition to bike-rider.

this styrofoam thing was definitely upping the ante. i was sure he had washed the container and was saving it to transport a yet-to-be-determined lunch to work. i saw the styrofoam aging, cracking, the cover ripping off ... until one day, 20 years from now, i have to pry it from his wicked free range, grass-fed, vice grip so i can take it to the historical society and explain this unnatural contianer to visiting third-graders as they gawk at the 'who broke the earth' display.

"what are you saving this for?" he finally asked me yesterday, the styrofoam flapping open.

"me? i thought you were saving it," i said. "i thought you had lost your ever-loving hipping mind."
"huh," he said. "i thought you had lost YOUR ever-loving hippie mind."

turns out neither of us had lost our ever-loving hippie mind, but neither of us would be surprised if the other did.

7 comments:

liss n kids said...

eek. I must have lost MY ever-loving hippie mind, then, 'cause I do occasionally wash and reuse the styrofoam. Not forever. But, you know, enough to assuage a little bit of the guilt.

And sometimes I will just refuse the box entirely, choosing instead to wrap my leftovers in the cloth napkin I brought from home, tucking the whole mess into my cloth grocery bag alongside the food scraps from everyone at the table, which I'm saving for my vermiculture compost bin in the closet...

Heh. I mean, of course, that I say a quick "sorry world" and shove the styrofoam deep into my plastic trash bag, hoping it will disappear!

feistyMNgirl said...

when either of you start bringing your own Tupperware containers to dinner, then you are ever-loving hippies...

christina said...

uh oh ...

Krupskaya said...

An older woman in Mr. K's family had a special purse she would bring to the buffet, and she would fill it with waffles. Maybe a purse is the way to go.

Beverly said...

Oh, man, krupskaya! My mother thinks it's not stealing to stuff food in her purse at a buffet. Long story ...
Now what was I saying? I think I'll have to post it myself.

Sproactually said...

I live 6 miles from New Paltz, the hippie captial of NY.

You guys don't even begin to know Hippies.

chuck said...

Some people (*ahem*) mistakenly define "hippie" as "any person who does not have sports-team logos all over his clothing."

And "man-sandals" as "any summer shoes that do not boldly say 'Adidas' on them."