Wednesday, November 28, 2007

oklahoma, oklahoma, oklahoma ...

i was either barely asleep or barely awake the other day when i asked myself the kind of question you pose to someone else while on a long road trip: what are the things that i thought were super funny when my "funny" was at its absolute most pure, unrefined state. and of those things, which are still funny now?

i realized i was veering toward the mentally absurd. obviously i was sort of dreaming, because these were the only two things i could think of and, while funny, they seem like random things to dredge from my psyche:

this exact garfield comic is the first time i realized that you can laugh so hard you are dizzy. i reread these panels dozens and dozens of times, obviously. it took me just 12 minutes of trolling the garfield.com archives to find it. apparently, i followed early 80s garfield plotlines like they were my pre-pubescent version of dynasty.



and this scene from the movie "dirty, rotten scoundrals," which i saw with fannie in the theater. you would be hard pressed to attend a sleepover with us in those waning pre-high school days where one of us didn't bust out a manic "oklahoma! oklahoma! oklahmoa!"

4 comments:

Melissavina said...

I love this post. I used to go around over acting Anne of Green Gables scenes with my friends and doubling over repeating "I'm sooooory Anne" louder than it should ever be spoken.

I'm so much funnier now.
Or maybe just more jaded.

Either way, I think it worked out for the best.

Whiskeymarie said...

I loved Garfield when I was in junior high. I don't get it now.

But "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" makes me laugh every. stupid. time.
"Ruprecht, do you want the genital cuff?"

L Sass said...

OMG, I totally remember that Garfield strip, too! Wow, I would never have believed that I could retain such a thing.

christina said...

wm, i'm also a fan of the moment when he stabs himself with the cork fork.

l sass, I KNOW! maybe we both owned copies of "garfield larger than life." green book? either that or garfield rarely deviates from about four different joke combinations.